Sunday, January 9, 2011

My review of a Nightmare on Elm Street 5- The Dream Child

This is my review of A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: Freddy Is Once Again Resurrected To Make Another Sequel Without Any Explanation As To How He Was Resurrected.

Acting: boy, it just keeps going down and down. The actors in this movie are worse than before. Unrealistic reactions, poor choices, and they made the characters such that you didn't care if they died or not. Even Robert Englund's Freddy has gotten too silly. It's not something that I like at all. It was very poorly done. I have no idea how the director looked at this stuff and went "yeah, that's exactly what I want to see. sweet, we'll put it in the movie right away!" .5/10

Plot: Now we're really getting stupid here. Really really stupid. and it goes beyond just "wait...how did Freddy get resurrected this time? They don't really say." There are many many key plot points that I just completely rolled my eyes at. They were ridiculous. I'm all for suspending disbelief with movies. If audiences in general weren't, then the movie industry wouldn't succeed at all. But asking me to completely remove my brain so that I don't think that the movie is incredibly dumb is just too much. They ran out of ideas at this point so I think they just made up a few plot points and trusted that if the audience was still coming back by this point then they wouldn't care about the plot. Huh...actually, that's probably what happened. Another think that I hate is this: when Freddy slashes you in a dream in the first one, in the real world there are visible slash marks on your soon-to-be lifeless body. they have not done that since the first one. It's stupid. It's a friggin' SLASHER FILM. I expect GORE! I got little to none. 1/10

Screenplay: well, Freddy is now at his peak (as far as I'm aware at this point) in the 'pun kill' stage. He is now averaging 8-10 puns per kill as opposed to the 3rd one where it was one pun per kill and the fourth where it was only 2-3. And I gotta think that they're drawing puns out of a hat. In fact, I think that's what they base the kills around. They pick 2 or 3 puns and then just base a kill around that. But that's another problem: The body count is extremely low. I wont give exact figures here, but it's pathetic. I don't think that they even tried with this one. 0/10

Likableness: nope not really likable at all. Not good. If I've given it 1.5/30 by this point, I think you are smart enough to know that this category isn't going to get this one anything near a fresh review. There were certain points that were entertaining, but on the whole. It was an incredibly stupid film. .5/10

Total Score: 2/40 5% (S)


TRIVIA TIME: 1. The "Freddybike" has a license plate that can be seen for a few seconds and says "FREDDY". It's a California tag.

2. Virtually nothing of the screenplay by John Skipp and Craig Spector made it into the film (according to Skipp, only the phrase "It's a boy" was retained), while only around half of Leslie Bohem's screenplay was kept. William Wisher Jr. and David J. Schow did further rewrites, and the final screenplay was put together just days before shooting by Michael De Luca.

3. Hopkins was given just four weeks to shoot and a further four weeks to edit the film. This meant that he had to shoot on one stage while the crew dressed the other, so they could shot almost continually. After he made it, the studio was so impressed that he was given the task of directing Predator 2.

4. When Alice and Mark look through the pile of newspapers, for a moment, the camera is set on an article regarding Amanda Krueger's death. In this article, Robert Shaye (Producer) is quoted as he says: "She was a victim of the evil within us all. I hope she will know peace in the life hereafter".

5. Both horror author Stephen King and comic book writer Frank Miller were offered the job of writing and directing this movie.

6. All death sequences were cut down significantly in order to avoid an X-rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment