Sunday, January 9, 2011

My review of A Nightmare on Elm Street 4-The Dream Master

So, here's my review for A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: Freddy is Inexplicably Resurrected Again. Well, the reason that I've gone on to watch this one is best described by Forrest Gump with a little tweaking to make it applicable: "well, I figured, since I made it this far and watched 4/9 Nightmare on Elm Street movies (The nine movies including New Nightmare, Freddy Vs. Jason and the remake and I've only seen New Nightmare) I might as well keep on going." So yeah. It seem silly to me to watch this many films in a series and ignore the rest however smart the decision to ignore the others may be.

Acting: Pretty much what it always is. Campy B-Movie acting. nothing too great. nothing extremely terrible either. The leads did a good job I felt for the screenplay at hand and well obviously, Freddy was Freddy. That is, I felt it was better than the acting in the 3rd one. I don't know why, but I thought that the acting in this one was better than the acting in the 3rd one. 5/10

Plot: Now, this had some very visible weak points. stuff that I was like "huh, THAT'S what you thought would be cool? some stuff was fine but a lot of it made me scratch my head and go, "really? that's the best you could do? Other stuff happened, and it was totally key to the plot, and it wasn't explained at all it just...happened. That made no sense. I would have liked some more explanation. Other stuff it seemed like they could have taken it somewhere and they didn't. Stuff that could have been mildly interesting. 4/10

Screenplay: well, what do you expect me to say about this one? Freddy is now fully in the 'Pun Kill' phase which none of us like. Unlike the last one where he sort of had decent ones, and by that I mean they didn't damage our ears too much, these puns are incredibly stupid. He must have read them off of a bottle cap or something. Not good stuff. And I know that they only get worse form here. But, "since I've gotten this far, I might as well keep on going." But Freddy's not the only one to blame. The whole screenplay sucked. It's not like it was Godfather screenplay worthy until Freddy opened up his mouth. But Yeesh. my mother was right; you can't shut Freddy up. 2/10

Likableness: It still had an air around it that I kinda liked. It's not going on my top 10 list anytime soon...actually, it's never going on my top 10 list. or even any honorable mentions list I have going. But I wasn't throwing up in my mouth while I watched it. It was entertaining but not too great all the same. 5/10

Final Score: 16/40 40% (I)


TRIVIA TIME: 1. The name of the diner where Alice works is called the "Crave Inn", a reference to series creator Wes Craven.

2. Not only did actor Tuesday Knight co-star in the film, she performed the theme song.

3. In a brief classroom scene, Alice and fellow students are lectured on the philosophy on dreams. The teacher giving the lecture is played by series producer and New Line Cinema CEO Robert Shaye. Also, When Dan and Kirsten go to the hospital, there is an announcement on the PA requesting a Dr. Shaye, another reference to Robert Shaye.

4. Wes Craven and Bruce Wagner came upon with a concept for this film that involved time travel through dreams. However, producers Robert Shaye and Sara Risher felt that this was too high a concept for a Nightmare On Elm Street sequel and didn't think it fit the formula that Craven created with the first film.

5. This was the highest-grossing entry in the Elm Street series (not counting Freddy vs. Jason). It earned $49 million in the US.

6. Patricia Arquette, who played Kristen in the third part of the series, could not reprise her role here in the fourth movie because she was pregnant during filming.

7. In the scene where Kristen is in the hospital after hitting her head; when the nurse changes into Freddy and he had the vials of blood in his right hand, one of the vials (the one closest to the camera) says "Englund" - the last name of the actor who plays Freddy.

8. First film in the series where Robert Englund receives top billing in the opening credits.

                                                                    Soul food huh? stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment