Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Wading through the mud to find the diamond.

My favorite genre is horror. I don't exactly know why but there you go. I like horror films. I know all of the good horror out there. I've seen a lot of it. Most of it though, is the famously good stuff. Psycho, Halloween, Scream etc. I went on a quest from September 2010-present day. It slowed down a lot in December. But it was my goal, to find obscure horror gems so that I could pass them on to other horror fans who did not know of them. Here are my findings. I'll take out the obvious ones. in the 'Gem' section






















Let's start with what we have in the 'mud' section. These are the films that I absolutely despised and would suggest that no one should see. This list will probably grow.















Lets start with the series films. These are sequels to films that are big. There are a lot of these alone so bear with me.

Halloween II


















Halloween III Season of the Witch
















Halloween IV: The return of Michael Meyers

















A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 4: The Dream Master

















A Nightmare on Elm Street part 5: The Dream Child

















Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare
















Child's Play 3

















Friday the 13th Part 2-although, on thing I have to say for this film, the final girl in this is probably the smartest final girl in slasher history. Maybe Sidney Prescott and her tie.













Friday the 13th Part 3
















Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter
















Hannibal Rising
















Saw II
















Saw III














Saw IV
















Saw V













Saw VI














Saw 3D
















The Grudge

















The Grudge 2
















The Ring 2














A Nightmare on Elm Street
















Alien Resurrection
















Alien Vs Predator

















Alien vs Predator Requiem


















Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers
















 

Sleepaway Camp III: Teenage Wasteland










Return to Sleepaway Camp




















Now on to the non-big franchise ones (Yes I know that a few of these got a bunch of sequels too).

April Fools Day
















My Bloody Valentine
















Prom Night
















Slaughter High

















Slumber Party Massacre














Valentine














Urban Legend
















Sorority Row
















The Omen
















Troll 2. I know that this one isn't even remotely good but it does say that it's horror.















When a Stranger Calls
















Cutting Class














Night of the Demons
















Puppet Master


















Wishmaster















Alone in the Dark

















House of the Dead

















Ferocious Planet























Now we're at the 'Rhinestone' section. These films aren't the worst and they aren't the best. It's not the worst thing if you want to see one of these.

 Once again, we're going to do the major films first.

Friday the 13th















 Child's Play
















Child's Play 2
 Seed of Chucky















A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge
















A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors

















Red Dragon














The Ring
















Saw
















Alien 3
















Scream 3













Freddy Vs. Jason


















Hatchet

















Hellraiser





















Now on to the smaller films

I Walked with a Zombie















Sleepaway Camp-The ending is so good I might buy it. The rest is so bad I might burn it when I do....
















The Burning
















Terror Train















Cherry Falls
















Silent Night, Deadly Night
















Club Dread














Piranha 3D
















Vampyr


















 Cronos
















Teeth

















Now, this one is by every single definition bad. But, it's supposed to be bad. I mean, look at it, it looks horrible and it is but that's what it tries to be.








Wyvern
















Chopping Mall. If you want to get technical it's a horror film but in reality, it's closer to a sci-fi film. It's a horror film in the same way The Terminator is a horror film really. it has the setup of horror, but it isn't really one.













Swimming Pool/The Pool/Water Demon/Der Tod Feiert Mit
















Alice, Sweet Alice





















Now we get to the 'gem' section. these films are the more obscure films that are really good horror that I would suggest to any horror fan.
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
















The Night of the Hunter
















The Innocents
















Freaks
















Near Dark
















Peeping Tom
















Suspiria
















Eraserhead
















The Dead Zone
















A Tale of Two Sisters
















Slither
















Black Christmas
















Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
















Student Bodies
















Dead Snow

















Candyman

















Trick R Treat















Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror

















Fright Night





















Hard Candy





















These are a few franchise sequels that I thought were excellent

Wes Craven's New Nightmare
















The Bride of Chucky














Scream 2

















Scream 4


















So, by my count, these are the statistics



There is still more to see



There are some good Horror Documentaries out there as well.

Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy
















His Name Was Jason: 30 Years of Friday the 13th
















Halloween: 25 Years of Terror
















Best Worst Movie

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic work, I have only seen Peeping Tom, The Night Of The Hunter, and The Cabinet Of Dr Caligari. I loved all three of them!
    I'm not much of a Horror fan really...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm glad you've seen The Night of the Hunter, too few have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, it's a shame really...
    But it's their loss I suppose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crazy, I'm not a fan of horror. But you really should check out Open Water. You'll be surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I may sometime. I've heard that it's good.

    ReplyDelete